So why groovyduck.com? Well I would have liked evilduck.com as a sort of Eddie Izzard 'homage' (as in 'the tyranny of ducks' from 'Glorious') but sadly it was already taken. After a very long and stupid conversation with my brother spurred on by the duck theme and my current love of groove networks groovyduck.com seemed the best choice. All the slightly 'media-ish' ones were taken up by avaricious gits who'd just registered the name in the hopes that someone would need it and pay them a ton of money for the pleasure (damn! Why didn't I think of that?)
So to justify groovyduck.com:
- 8 letters or less for site names is good, this comes in at 9
- you can't really easily mis-spell either groovy or duck and most sane people know what both words mean
- Groovy is well, you know, groovy… and Austin Powers has done a lot to promote it 'Yeah baby!'
- It's memorable, slightly funky and totally meaningless - it in no way suggests that it involves me selling anything or being some kind of cult (see rubberduck.org for that)
- I can find a picture of a groovy duck no problem…
- People like ducks (I refer to the Dilbert TV cartoon episode 'Blue Duck'), they like monkeys more though, which is how the BBC justified what looked like their plagiarism of the ITV2 digital 'munkey' (cheapskates they should have just brought 'munkey' lock, stock and barrel)
- Oh, and because I can get .co.uk, .com and .me.uk… groovyduck.me.uk yer see? Well I found it kind of funny…
The long and stupid thought process came up with a lot of 'easy' this and 'easy' that suggestions including easymoped.com but my bro and I reckoned that old NotSoEasy.Stelios probably had this in mind as the next business venture and would even sue for infringement over the suggested 'easyrat.com' …
Some things I didn't know about rubber ducks until I googled:
- You can get a rubber duck bath 'massager' from some of the more interesting sites on the web (and also some rather fetching lace boxer shorts here; I can picture a few blokes I know in those :-) )
- You should never type the word 'rubber' into a search engine unless you are of an open mind and strong disposition… not unless you want to find yourself thinking 'God, who the hell thought up THAT?!' and 'I think what you've doing is illegal in most countries'
- People collect rubber ducks in a BIG way!